• https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-OY2wnEGn_cE/V80uockjicI/AAAAAAAAZ8o/r_3CotN5E6U-CUieGteAgUvmn7wuNEzrQCLcB/s1600/do%2Bnot%2Bbe%2Bweary%2Bin%2Bwell%2Bdoinf.jpg

2.7.15

Maintain Integrity in your Writing

"You will be judged by your words" kept ringing in my head just after I clicked on the 'publish' button. Well, I finally deleted it when I realized it was a sin to write such.

10 Ways to Maintain Integrity in your Writing


In a way, we are all writers.

When you post on Twitter, Facebook, G+, you write something. When you update your BBM status, reply an SMS, chat with a friend, you write something. When you leave a comment on a blog post or submit articles for publication, you write something. Right? 

Aha! You agree with me that you're indeed a writer

Writing is an outflow, the expression of one's personality. I believe writing is a matter of the heart because it shows one's character. And integrity is a character that must be worked into our personalities. It doesn't exactly happen suddenly. It takes conscious effort to be a person of integrity. Sometimes we miss it and have to get back on track by asking God to forgive us. But, if we become too careless and neglect the need to be very responsible, truthful, and trustworthy individuals, we'll not "get there".

I have highlighted 10 mindful ways to maintain integrity in your writing as well as in your speaking. . .

1. Never say what you can't defend. Don't say in someone's absence what you can't say in his presence.

2. Speak only when your words are needed and important to the discussion. Be silent when they will not be helpful.

3. Be positive in your comment as much as possible. Be a sweetheart.

4. Be mindful of flattery and exaggerated praise. You might lose respect.

5. Express full acknowledgement to whom you are indebted for ideas. Show gratitude.

6. Avoid plagiarism. I strongly detest this act of dishonesty and betrayal. Be original in your creative expressions.

7. Never criticize the motive of others. You cannot know everything. Always give the benefit of the doubt.

8. Be totally honest in everything you say. Speak to inspire, to help, to love.

9. Beware of over generalization. Be accurate in reporting statistics and descriptions.

10. Ask God to help you guard your tongue and guide your words. It will be counted as sin if you write/speak carelessly.
The world is watching.
"I tell you that men will have to give account on the day of judgement for every careless word they have spoken. For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned." - Matthew 12:36-37
Your word is a product of what's within your heart - Good fruits or bad fruits. While the former gives you justification, the latter gives you condemnation.

I am a Christian. And I believe those who visit my blog are Christians (and soon-to-be Christians). It is important that we maintain integrity in all that we say and do. The world is watching. O_O

Alrightie, let's now call this; 'The Editorial Guidelines for Heart Rays.' Yeah! *grins*

Can you figure out why this tweet lacks integrity? 1 & 5. 


Posted by Nwamaka Ajaegbu 
Follow on Twitter: @Amakamedia

Heart Rays . . .giving out  the light.

23 comments:

Sarah said...

Love this write up. Writer indeed, you are! I really really like this.

it comes down to this: Write what is yours to write and Credit your sources

KayCee Blunt said...

Lol. Plagiarism issue again. What happened?Who stole your tweet this time. lol. Plagiarism is an act of overt theft we have to accept. People just don't understand the implications.

Ely said...

Come Amaka is that why u deleted my yesterday comment? tsew!

Glowyshoe said...

Ov cos we should all be careful with out choice of words bcos one day you will be made to account for them..

www.glowyshoe.blogspot.com

Gabbyspeaks said...

Good one, will certainly keep these in mind when putting up posts. I believe Jesus should be seen in all we do.

Chioma Dike said...

This advice is brilliant :-)

it really opened up my eyes to alot of things that I have been neglecting in my writing!

Life's a show said...

Thanks for sharing this truth.

Life is a show.

Guest said...

*guilty conscience*

ayanbajo ajibike said...

Amaka, are you always conscious of this ten things you highlighted??
jibbyks.blogspot.com

Amakamedia said...

Good question, sweetie! Lol. Like I said: "It takes conscious effort to be a person of integrity." Working and still working on me.

Mehn, when God opens your eye towards an issue, you'll become conscious. I write to myself too. I just get to know that being a writer/blogger is a big risk of life.

Now I'm even scared to write. I have to fast and pray before posting anything now o

Amakamedia said...

- Ask God for mercy.
- Apologize to those you offended
- Work on writing with integrity

Amakamedia said...

A very bitter truth, I must say!

Thanks for reading.

Amakamedia said...

Amen. Writing is a ministry. Happy writing!

Amakamedia said...

God help us. I appreciate your comnent, sweetie.

Amakamedia said...

That's the scary part. The more words we use, the greater the judgement. sonetimes, silence can be the best thing to do

Amakamedia said...

Sorry. I guess you understand why now.

Gloria Okaimam said...

Beautiful and intelligent writeup prof, there's no end to learning..


Www.trendwithgloria.blogspot.com

Adenike Bamigbade said...

A very thoughtful one. Truly what comes out of us is what matter not what we take in cos dt shows how brutal we human can be. What I keep asking for is His wisdom. Thanks Amaka for deeply reflecting on this.

LiveLife

bolateethole.blogspot.com said...

So true, words are like egg.we should be mindful of our words cos it gives a clearer picture of who we really are.
Thanks for this

Your post is up on the blog *smiles *

http://bolateethole.blogspot.com/2015/07/guest-post-thinker-who-thinks-about.html

Amakamedia said...

Yayy!

Zeezee said...

Well written writing of a writer who thinks about thinking #winks# u re good at what you do amaka. thumbs up!

Tomi 'Molola said...

Like one time I tweeted a rumour and it went viral. I felt terrible for weeks and decided I'd never write about something I'm not a firsthand witness of. Good one Amaka

Carol Tice said...

Excellent post here. You articulated perfectly. #insightful

Blogger Widget