• https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-OY2wnEGn_cE/V80uockjicI/AAAAAAAAZ8o/r_3CotN5E6U-CUieGteAgUvmn7wuNEzrQCLcB/s1600/do%2Bnot%2Bbe%2Bweary%2Bin%2Bwell%2Bdoinf.jpg

31.7.14

First 6 Months on the Job

It is normal to feel overwhelmed when you start a new job. It is also normal that you get a bit worried about being able to perform to expectations. But remember, you got the job because you deserved it. You proved it through the tests, interviews and workshops. You're good like that. Yes, you can!
Today, It was officially stated that I've survived the first six months on the job. I'm so elated! All glory to God. Right now, I'm actually shaking my head to a reggae tune that I'm humming as I type this post. I would be dancing as soon as I click "publish".



My job
There are times when I'm asked to do things I couldn't possibly do, and there are other times when I find the job so easy. They call it Administrative Officer but I choose to call it Multimedia Officer. As a Multimedia Officer, I manage all incoming and outgoing calls, bills, emails and packages. For every week in six months, I had drafted at least a formal letter. I also had to draft articles for the company's blog.
I find the job quite interesting. I've improved on my written and oral communication skills. It is bliss to be able to learn and to earn altogether.

My Boss
My boss is a lovely perfectionist. If it's not perfect, then it's nothing. One has to be very meticulous to work with him. He's been helping me to develop the attention-to-detail skill. The full stop has to be in the right places or else? You don't want to know. And he's got a British accent which I admire. *whispers* He corrects my sentences and pronunciations.
When you've got a good and intelligent boss, be sure your mistakes will be corrected with a creative analysis.

My Colleagues
Did I tell you that I'm the only lady in the office? Yeah, it's an IT and Media consulting company. Boys and men everwhere. Some married, some engaged and some very single. We get along so well. Knowing that the boss wants to see results. We help one another to achieve the set objectives. We are team players.
To add to the fact that I'm an only-girl-child, it does feel like home. Birthdays are moments I personally look forward to because we "parry!".

My Moments
I believe every moment has a significant role to play in the fulfilment of God's purposes for our lives. There are moments when we had thought God shouldn't have let happen. There are also moments we wish should be replayed over and over.
And I'm grateful for all these moments. It's been beautiful. Or what can I say?

My Lessons
I have learnt so much in six months. After spending much time on my kneels. Here's what I do each week, you might learn something:
  1. Bring forward the unachieved objectives of the previous week.
  2. State your objectives for the week.
  3. Break it down into smaller achievable tasks.
  4. Write down your achieved objectives.
  5. Review your performance for the week.
  6. Do better than the last performance in the coming week.
First impressions matter a lot. It's been proven again and again. The first six months is very strategic. Build the skills you need and love your job. When you love what you do, it will radiate on your performance.

So dear, how are you doing on your job?
  • Do you get joy?
  • Does it give room for your creativity?
  • Are you having fun?
  • Do you work with fear?
You can leave a comment, I'd love to hear.

"Amaka is always excited for whatever reason. I've never seen her sad." Says my boss.
Actually, I'm human and I can be sad sometimes. But I never let it affect my performance and my day. Be positive. A positive attitude is contagious. When you've got it, everyone around catches the drift.
If you're still excited about your job after six months, then you are indeed blessed. Why would you want to quit? It's not about the salary. It's more about the knowledge, the network, the experience and the journey. And most importantly, its alignment to your divine assignment. You can leave only when you've fought the good fight, finished the course and kept the faith. (2Tim. 4:7) Or maybe if God tells you to.

I look forward to not just a higher pay but also to a new dispensation of grace. I'm so excited about the future. For brighter and clearer, I see the picture. It can only be better!
Thank you, Jesus.

Cheers to a new beginning! *dancing*

Thanks for reading.
You might also like: I was Afraid of who I saw in the mirror

Written by Nwamaka Ajaegbu
Twitter: @Amakamedia
Email: amakamedia@gmail.com

Blogger Widget